The idea started in 2016, intending to introduce and enhance the social research skills of young researchers and development practitioners to back their practical work experience with academic methods and tools. The training attempts to encourage the use of social research tools in social activism to ensure better quality for the designed developmental programs based on the use of the evidence-based approach and participatory research techniques. Also, it aims to make social research methodologies accessible for non-academics and to be adapted to research questions raised from surrounding social realities.
- Understand the research role in social sciences as well as its various applications and formats other than the traditional academic papers.
- Explore the social research journey, starting from research conceptualization till the final phase.
- Explore different research approaches and methodologies, and more importantly, we introduce new research practices, such as Participatory Research and Evidence-Based Approach, to link them to the developmental practices that the participants are involved in.
- You will know the approaches and methods of academic research
- You will be able to use the Evidence-Based Approach.
- You will be aware of the ethical and practical considerations of conducting research.
- You will be able to identify how to use research to develop and enhance your work on the development field/social activism.
- You will be able to come up with your own research interests that will be developed jointly throughout the experience period.
The learning experience is based on
- Presentations and interactive discussions.
- Reflection space where participants share their field stories and challenges while reflecting on the importance of academic social research to navigate these challenges.
- Practical collective activities to apply what they have learned during the sessions.
- One-to-one coaching with participants to develop their research projects. This format aims to transmit the theoretical knowledge needed and, at the same time, allows a space for the participant to apply this academic know-how to their own research ideas and developmental projects.
Frequency: Twice/ year. January and November.
- Intensive format: 5 days in a row.
- Non-Intensive format: One day/ week for a period of 7 weeks.
Dates: It will be announced on the website two months in advance.
Admission: An application will be available on the website two months in advance. Cost: It will be announced with each learning experience.
Scholarship: All our learning experiences have different schemes of scholarships, just please indicate in your application the needed % of scholarship (25%, 50%, 75%, 100%).
If you are an organization or a self-organized group that wishes to organize this learning experience for your team members/ group, please contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org, specifying in the subject title “name of the learning experience.”
Amira Hossam Mohamed Yassein Shaimaa Atef